The Suncoast Mental Health Counselors Association is committed to keeping you current on legislation that affects mental health counseling and advocating on your behalf. Likewise, we offer professional development training for a nominal fee allowing you to earn CEU’s! Moreover, we help our graduate students and interns stay informed of supervision requirements, potential internship sites and employment opportunities. In addition, we also provide a forum where mental health counselors can come together as a therapeutic community to find strength and renewal.
We share a commonality unique to ourselves. As healers of the soul, we facilitate change in the lives of others who have reached their darkest hour. We share hope and encouragement, helping others overcome. We lead people forward in their lives. We give of ourselves for the good of mankind. We make a difference.
The SMHCA supports you in your endeavors. We encourage you to join us each month and get involved, to make new friends and to exchange thoughts and ideas.
Membership Benefits Include:
- Quality monthly professional development trainings offering 3.0 CEUs for $10. Students members attend free! Trainings are held on the 3rd Friday of each month, September through June (skipping December).
- Colleague Collaboration – Bring challenging cases you would like to discuss and get input and feedback from other colleagues. The group meets before the monthly training and is facilitated by a knowledgeable and experienced therapist. Bring your lunch if you wish.
- Monthly networking opportunities at the training events. Come and meet fellow colleagues in a relaxed, no pressure environment.
- Updated information about issues related to the 491 Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family therapy, and Mental Health Counseling. SMHCA works closely with the Florida Mental Health Counselors Association (FMHCA), especially in legislative areas. FMHCA leads the efforts in legislative affairs and your SMHCA membership financially supports those efforts in Florida.
- CE Broker services offered at a discounted rate for members. SMHCA submits your CEUs earned at our meetings.
- Free attendance at the annual Spring Symposium for Students, Interns, and new professionals in the area. A valuable resource for learning how to study and take the licensing exam, networking with old and new counselors, and establishing your practice.
- Listing in the SMHCA Clinical Directory – a directory of clinical services provided by our members and available on-line as a resource for therapists and clients looking for counselors.
- Listing in the Qualified Supervisors Directory.