SMHCA is a Mental Health Counseling association for students, registered interns and Licensed Mental Health Counselors to advance mental health education and to promote professional networking.
The purpose of this organization is to provide a means for mental health counselors in this district to work towards common goals including, but not limited to: promoting the profession of mental health counseling; increasing the visibility and respect accorded the profession; fostering professional identity and development; providing education and training opportunities to enhance the quality of services provided by members; promoting legislation which recognizes and advances the profession; addressing issues of discrimination and client advocacy; promoting an alliance with other organized mental health professionals with common goals and interests; and generally working for the common good of mental health counselors.
The purposes of the Suncoast Mental Health Counselors Association are to:
- Promote the profession of mental health counseling;
- Provide a system for the exchange of professional information among mental health counselors through newsletters, journals or other scientific, educational and /or professional materials.
- Provide professional development programs for mental health counselors to update and enhance clinical competencies;
- Promote legislation that recognizes and advances the to profession of mental health counseling;
- Provide a public forum for mental health counselors to advocate for the social and emotional welfare of clients;
- Promote positive relations with mental health counselors and other mental health practitioners in all work settings to enhance the profession of mental health counseling;
- Contribute to the establishment and maintenance of minimal training standards for mental health counselors;
- Promote scientific research and inquiry into mental health concerns;
- Provide liaison on the state level with other professional organizations to promote the advancement of the mental health profession.
- Provide the public with information concerning the competencies and professional services of mental health counselors, and to
- Promote equitable licensure standards for mental health counselors through the state legislature.